Both my children HAD eczema. In the winter their skin got worst and are often stressed by the drying indoor heating and cold winter wind. I work at a local medical clinic helping patients with acne, eczema, and psoriasis daily. These are simple steps our family took and our patients follow. They are guaranteed to help ease your skin’s discomforts:
- Take warm, not hot, shorter showers or baths. Better yet give your skin a break and skip a shower or two … bonus: that leaves more time to snooze or relax. Just simply rinse the privates. Your skin will hold on to its natural moisture longer, pH is normal and stable, and skin gets less irritated. Your beneficial skin bacteria thrive also thrive on moisturized and pH balanced skin. They are the key to healthy skin in this world of over washing and sanitizing.
- Make sure you filter your shower or bath water. Recycled city water (often recycled up to 20 times! Yuk) contains chlorine and lots of contaminants (other people’s medicine, toxic fluoride etc.) which irritate skin and make any inflammatory conditions worse. Amazon and recently some Whole Foods sells shower filters for $40 – $75, it is well worth it.
- Damp dry your skin and massage a thin layer of our Prebiotic Cleanser (loaded with soothing and calming herbs, organic extra virgin olive oil and essential oils) as a skin moisturizer and soother. Use as an aftershave also. If you do not have our Prebiotic Cleanser, simply massage your damp skin with organic extra virgin olive oil, a rich fatty oil for irritated/dry/inflamed skin.
- Run a humidifier in your bedroom to keep your skin (nasal and lung) moist. This will ease itching and irritation.
- Use our Indigo Calm Balm to soothe eczema, psoriasis and inflamed skin twice a day.
- Ease your level of stress. Working with many patients every day, I notice severe and/or chronic eczema or psoriasis are often worse or triggered by stress or negative emotions. Work on this, and take time to relax and unwind. It is one of the most important steps.
- You are bundled up in your clothes all day and wrapped in your sheets and blanket all night. To help skin stay healthy, use fragrance and dye free, natural laundry detergents like 7th Generation, use the extra rinse and do not use fabric softener. Most of the time if you double rinse, the detergent residue is gone and your clothes will naturally be softer. Use a static ball if needed.
Please share these protocols with friends and family suffering from eczema, psoriasis or inflamed/dry/irritated/itchy skin.