Once you make your own bacon, you will never go back to store bought ever again. The following bacon recipe is quick and simple and contains NO nitrite :
For one package of our thick sliced pork belly (0.5 to 1 lb.) use:
- 2 cups of drinking water
- 1.5 Tablespoon Maple syrup, OR 1.5 Tablespoon of our Wildflower Honey, OR Juice of 1 organic Apple.
- 1.5 Tablespoon: Himalayan Pink Salt or Evaporated Sea Salt (No table salt please!)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed (if you do not have fresh, use 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder)
- 0.5 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 dry bay leaf (optional… but if you want extra flavor and depth… add a bay leaf, trust me)
Place all the ingredients above in a bowl, with a lid or cover, and stir well until all the maple syrup or honey and salt has dissolved completely. Remove your pork belly slices one by one from the package and place them in your marinade mixture. Make sure all the meat is completely covered in the marinade mixture.
Cover and allow meat to marinade for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
When you are ready to fry, remove each slice of pork belly, shaking off the excess before placing them in your frying pan. I use a cast iron skillet to fry these until brown and crispy. Save all your bacon fat/dripping in a ceramic bowl for frying your eggs in later, yumm. Refrigerate any remaining raw bacon, in the marinade, in your fridge and use within a week.
Told you it was quick and simple. You can adjust any of the ingredients to your liking… remember you must have enough salt to prevent your meat from spoiling. Enjoy. If you have any question or comment, just let me know.